A Tale of Two Weekends

I did not ride in a carpool this week. I did drive, but it is not safe to drive and blog.

Last weekend was sunny. Not really too warm, but sunny. Today was similar, but a little shorter on the sun.

The three weekend days all included walks. (Maybe tomorrow too, but that hasn’t happened yet.)

Spring has sprung, even if it hasn’t quite arrived.

The first walk had a goal – watching a 3-inning jamboree game featuring Garfield High School baseball. It was a 4 to 5 mile walk to Soundview field at Whitman Middle School. We were warm on arrival.

We introduced ourselves to parents in the bleachers, inquiring whether they had a child playing. Most did and returned the question to us. “Not this year, but 12 years ago,” was our answer. This year’s version is in better shape, based on our small sample of innings.

We were chilled to the bone after our time on the bleachers. Soundview may have the nice view, but it comes with the cool breeze.

Along the way we passed the first place we lived in Seattle. Hideo joined us in making the first floor of the house home. The house was fine, but we remembered why we avoided buying a house too far north in Seattle, no sidewalks.

The hated front yard holly tree is also gone. No bare feet when we lived there.

Based on Saturday’s experience, Sunday’s included an added layer. Our walk focused on the water, literally, but was a much warmer environment. We walked across the 520 floating bridge and back. A bit over 6 miles, and much more pleasant for walking than the I-90 bridge. This path is wide enough for two people to walk abreast and still have room for another pedestrian and a bicycle.

And there were plenty of both on the first really sunny weekend in a while.

View from the halfway point. (Pathway is on the right (north) side.)

Boats and planes that float.

There was also plenty of wildlife to observe. (Great blue heron and an immature bald eagle)

Do you think the eagle’s eyesight is better than the camera below?

Returning to the Seattle side we were just in time for the bridge to go up.

Funny story here. As we were coming up towards the bridge we could hear the bridge tender’s voice, “Please clear the bridge. I can’t raise the bridge until you clear the bridge.” We could then see there was a nun on the other side of the traffic lanes, on the bridge side of the pedestrian gate arm. Apparently she was crossing the bridge and had not quite made it to the crossing arm location when they were lowered. Being mindful of following rules, she was patiently stopped and waited at the barrier. I don’t think she knew or understood that the big voice was directed at her. As we arrived, a waiting bicyclist dismounted and crossed the road to guide her under the gate arm. She continued on her way and the bridge opened.

Today’s walk was focused on a minor errand and trying to shake the lingering time change blues. The chosen route was essentially to, around, and back from Green Lake. There was a crew race (races) underway. I am not sure of the level, but there were 4-man and 8-man boats. UW was participating, but also teams I didn’t recognize immediately as a college.

And in parting, farewell to Professor Hawking. Fittingly on Pi Day.

One Response to “A Tale of Two Weekends”

  1. margiegf Says:

    Lovely pictures! Seattle is so beautiful on a clear day. The Olympics are such impressive mountains. I’ve been doing a lot more walking too, but boring ones around my neighborhood. Maybe if I had a walking partner, I would go farther afield.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: